We believe that quality teaching is the key to effective student learning.
With this in mind, we have a strong focus on the professional learning of our teachers. We employ highly skilled, innovative and passionate teachers who are excited about opportunities to continually grow in their ability to support and extend the learning of all students in their classes.
- Whole-school professional learning focus. Each year teachers have regular in-school professional learning sessions with a whole-school focus on a particular goal from the Australian Professional Standards. In recent years, these have included feedback, critical thinking and improving student writing.
- Lesson observation. Teachers work as partners to critically review each other’s lessons and to identify opportunities for growth.
- Videoed lessons. Filming is used as a tool for teachers to reflect on their own teaching practice. With the support of a facilitator, the process encourages teachers to determine what does and does not work in their classrooms and to try new strategies in order to achieve goals.
- Student surveys. Student feedback helps teachers understand their strengths and areas for growth.
- Data analysis. Analysis of data from HSC results, NAPLAN and other testing provides information that allows teachers to target areas for growth in specific students and individual subjects, as well as across classes and stages.